Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sunburned shins and GT Rugby

This past weekend was some of the most beautiful weather I've seen in a long time. After working on the Reck and the garage all day, then grabbing some pizza and power houring to the greatest power hour video/music mashup up all time, I dragged my body out of bed about 9:00 a.m. on Saturday.

I'm beginning to train for Highland weight events, so I headed out to the Burger Bowl (Tech's "anything goes" athletics field) to get some throws in. I watched the women's rugby club warm up for their game against UGA while doing so.

I managed to go back to my apartment and shower and grab a cooler full of beer and get back to the game a few minutes after it started. It was about 68 degrees outside, hardly any clouds, and it put me in a happy place. Well, the beer helped too.

We may have lost to the mutts (they finally beat us in something this year), but our men's team took the field and beat Kennesaw State (I'll give a beer to anyone who can find their "Our Time Is Hear" website... dipshits...), a team that was apparently ranked higher than us. I'm not sure how these rankings work, but it was a hell of a game.

Between the people running into each other, the beer, the weather, and riding around in the Reck, it was one of the most Techtastic Saturdays of all time. Later that night, my shins began to itch really bad. I pulled up my pants leg, and to my surprise my shin is pretty darn red. I guess kicking back with my feet on the cooler has its price, but it was totally worth it.

The GT Men's Rugby team plays an exhibition game against Middle Tennessee State this Saturday @ 1:00 p.m. The weather may not be as great as last weekend, but it's still worth checking out.